Sponsor is National Geographic Society, 1145 17th Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20036-4688 (“Sponsor” or “NGS”).
The 2012 National Geographic Student Expeditions Photo Contest (“Contest”) begins March 1, 2012 at 12:01am US Eastern Standard Time (EST) and ends March 31, 2012 at 11:59pm US Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). All entries must be received by March 31, 2012 at 11:59pm EDT. Information on how to enter and prizes form part of these official rules (“Official Rules”). By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to the Official Rules and warrants that his or her entry complies with all requirements set out in the Official Rules. This is a skill-based contest and chance plays no part in the determination of winners.
WHO MAY ENTER
Eligibility: Contest is open only to legal residents of the United States who are in 9th through 12th grades at the time of entry, and who meet the Admissions Criteria for a National Geographic Student Expedition as described below in “Judging Criteria and Conditions.” You must have permission from a parent or legal guardian to enter the Contest. If selected as a Finalist, you will be required to provide your parent or legal guardian’s written consent to your participation, and if you fail to provide such written consent within three business days of the request then you may be disqualified. Employees of National Geographic Society and its affiliates and subsidiaries, and family members or people living in the same household with such individuals, are not eligible to participate.
HOW TO ENTER
All entries must be submitted in digital format through our online entry form. To enter, please go to our online entry form and follow the step-by-step directions on that page. Submit an original photograph, taken by you that captures the spirit of exploration and discovery – whether right in your backyard or farther afield (“Photograph”). Include a title for the Photograph, a written description (100 words or less) of the “moment” captured and how it reflects what exploration means to you (“Description”), the location where the Photograph was taken, and the names of any persons in the Photograph (if known).
Your entry must comply with the following requirements (the “Entry Requirements”):
- All photograph submissions must be 5 megabytes or smaller, must be in JPEG or JPG format, and must be at least 1,600 pixels wide (if a horizontal image) or 1,600 pixels tall (if a vertical image).
- Minor burning, dodging and/or color correction is acceptable. Hand tinting is acceptable, as is cropping. Fish-eye lenses are acceptable. High dynamic range images (HDR) and stitched panoramas are acceptable only if the combined parts are all made around the same time. Any changes to the original Photograph not itemized here are unacceptable and will render the Photograph ineligible for a prize.
- Photographs that include sculptures, statues, paintings, and other works of art will be accepted as long as they do not constitute copyright infringement or fraud. When photographing the work of others, it must be as an object in its environment and not a full-frame close up of another person’s art.
- The Photograph and the Description, each in its entirety, must be a single work of original material taken by the contest entrant. By entering the Contest, entrant represents, acknowledges and warrants that the submitted Photograph and Description are original works created solely by the entrant and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the Photograph or the Description.
- Though you retain copyright in each image submitted, the digital image file(s) submitted will not be returned or acknowledged.
- Obscene, provocative, or otherwise objectionable content will not be considered, and such determination is solely at the discretion of Sponsor.
- Each entrant may submit up to five Photographs and accompanying Description.
The entries will be judged in accordance with the Judging Criteria, as defined below.
All entries must be submitted and received by March 31, 2012 at 11:59 pm EDT. Proof of submission is not proof of receipt.